Sunday, April 20, 2008

Syne...Synech...SYNECDOCHE!

Gesundheit. Merci-todah.

Synecdoche: (sih-nek-doh-kee) a figure of speech used to represent part-whole relationships. Okay, yeah, that's nice, so what does that mean? A synecdoche is essentially, a semi-specific, one-word metaphor; it can't just be any metaphor, of course, the two things (objects/people/places/concepts) must be related in a part-whole kind of way. Examples:

Synecdoches:
- Part-Whole Relationship: My parents got me a new set of wheels; I need a KLEENEX, for a tissue (also an example of brand integration)
- Characteristics of a Species: Gentlemen prefer brunettes; He's a freshman.
-

Metonymies: the use of a word to represent a thing which is associated with the thing originally denoted by the word. Whew!
- Word, Meaning, and Metonymic use
- The Press, the Printing Press, the Media
- Sweat, Perspiration, Labor
- Knife, Tool That Cuts, Surgery

Asyndeton: removal of clear or annunciated transitions; think: hopscotch.
- "I came, I saw, I conquered"
Physical Representation: The Underground Railroad; it connects two places without traversing the institutionalized venue for railway transportation.

A synecdoche for my research project: de Bijenkorf, (Dutch for "beehive") roughly the Dutch equivalent of Nordstrom. Essentially a classy department store whose flagship was built in 1870 on Dam Square, Amsterdam.

2 comments:

JB said...

Very nice synecdoche. If you're interested in theoretical and historical background to the birth and rise of department store (the beehive is buzzing about 15 years into that phase) I'd be happy to provide you with sources: let me know.

Unknown said...

That was a better explanation of the meaning of the word synecdoche than I'd be given previous. Never heard the word before the Kauffman movie and the fact that it has more than one real meaning confused me a little. It seems like it should be a more commonly used word to me. Ta for the breakdown anyway. Im aiming for DumbBaby to be a synecdoche one day. Lol.